Ingredients for Making Shortcake base :
* One and a Half cups (175g) All purpose flour
* Two 1/4 tsp Baking powder
* Half tsp Salt
* 1/3 cup (75g) Sugar superfine or caster if possible
* 1/3 cup(100g) Unsalted Butter chilled and cubed
* One Egg yolk
* One tbsp Rose water or a few drops of vanilla flavoring
Ingredients for Making The Filling :
* One pound (450g) Fresh strawberries
* Two tbsp Orange juice
* Two cups (500ml) Heavy (double /whipping cream)
* One tbsp Sugar
* Two tbsp confectioners (icing) sugar
Directions for making Strawberry short cake :
1. grease two baking sheets and pre heat oven to 375f / 190c.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
3. Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Mix sugar rose water/vanilla flavoring and egg yolk in to the mixture and Mix well together to get a soft dough. Divided the dough into two, and roll each piece of dough to a 8inch ( 20cm) round.
5. Place the dough on the greased baking sheet and crimp the edges of the dough.
6. Bake for 15 minutes until lightly browned. Shift to a wire cooling rack and leave to cool.
1. Pluck green hulls from the strawberries. Slice fruit and place in a bowl. Sprinkle orange juice and sugar. Cover and leave to chill.
2. Whisk the cream until you get consistency then fold in one tablespoon of confectioners (icing) sugar.
3. Cover one of the short cake rounds with half the strawberries. Spoon over the cream then add the remaining strawberries saving a few for decoration.
4. Gently press the remaining shortcake round on top. Decorate with the saved strawberries and dust with confectioners (icing) sugar.